Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Friday, May 7, 2010

Rene's Bakery in Indianapolis

The Broad Ripple section of Indianapolis, while oddly named, is crazy cute. My friend Shasta has taken me here a few times and I’ve always been drawn into the stores with the sweet jewelry (this time there were some bamboo pieces that caught my eye) and paper products. Best of all, it is hip without being hipster (are those fightin’ words? I’m tired, so let’s say, “no.”)

This time Shasta took me to Rene’s Bakery for treats. I tried the apple coffee cake and she had a chocolate éclair. Sitting out of the rain in a nearby gazebo, we enjoyed our fresh treats. I’ve eaten enough bad coffee cakes that I tend to stray away from them, but this one with its oversized, buttery crumbs on top and moist cake was hard to resist.

Mmmm. Maybe I’ll have to find a good recipe for one since Indianapolis is too far to go for breakfast. Or is it?

No comments: