Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Popeye's or Chick-fil-a?

A poorly kept secret is that I love Popeyes. Love it.

I also hate it because I know it will eventually kill me. Now that there’s one at the Detroit airport, I have to be vigilant because as much as I love it, I work hard at not eating it. The closest one to our home in Ann Arbor is at a truck stop which we rarely pass. It is harder in New Jersey: There are ten within seven miles of my parents’ house.

A friend of mine has a similar love/hate relationship with Chick-fil-la. A bad influence, I convinced her to take me to one. I’ll admit that it was tasty while we ate it and we had a similar, um, not so good feeling later.

For the sake of my dear Popeye’s, I’ll add that the chicken at Popeye’s has a thicker, crispier coating of batter that can be ordered spicier. Yes, those are fighting words. I bet no one else wants to do a taste test to see if I’m right. For my own sake, I will return to eating fast food, fried or otherwise, once or twice a year.

4 comments:

Ann Keeler Evans said...

That great church reformer, Martin Luther, was not particularly reformed about his gustatory (or other) habits. The handy Luther quote I keep around for occasions such as this is: Sin Boldly! you spend so much time being a fabulous cook and eating really good food, that occasional fun food isn't going to kill you. love to read about your food! enjoy!

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

Thanks for your great comment, Ann. A good quote, indeed!

Ken Ronkowitz said...

And KFC...?

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

KFC isn't bad, Ken. I really think that Popeye's is the best!