Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Stumptown Coffee

Ever since living in Florence, Italy, I crave the perfect coffee. It isn’t an easy craving to satisfy.

My husband suggested that we go to Stumptown Coffee in Portland, Oregon. He’d read about it and thought it sounded like something I’d appreciate. He knows that a happy marriage includes good eats and drinks!

I used to regularly drink a “macchiato” when I was in Italy, but it can be hard to find stateside. The word means “stained” and a macchiato is just that: an espresso stained with frothy milk. You know you are somewhere special when the barista can pour the milk so it combines with the coffee below to form a lovely design. Take that, Starbucks!

My husband had a French Roast, which he enjoyed. If you are interested in recreating the perfect French Roast experience at home, they have a Brewing Guide on their website.

They also have a location in NYC. I look forward to visiting the next time I’m in town.

No comments: