Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Silver Skillet in Atlanta, Georgia


A northerner with sharp edges in my accent, I ordered the “Southern Breakfast” at The Silver Skillet in Atlanta, Georgia. The waitress slowly answered, “Sure, honey.” I smiled and waited patiently for my incredible dish filled with two center cut battered and fried pork chops, two eggs, grits and white gravy with a side of biscuits.

I ate the whole thing and was full until dinner.

I *love* biscuits. I made them from scratch once from the New York Times Cookbook and while they were tasty, they weren’t restaurant quality because of their denseness. As you know if you read this blog regularly, I lean towards the salty, rather than the sweet. The biscuits at the Silver Skillet had just the right amount of salt and butter.

Thank you to my friend Amy and her son for bringing me to this classic southern restaurant. If you are a better fan than I am of the Food Network's program Diners, Drive-Ins' and Dives, you might have already known about this spot. They aren’t the only ones who have found this wonderful space that opened in 1956. The website has a long list of movies, commercials, videos and print ads.

No comments: