Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bread Stuffed with Sausage and Cheese



When I was a kid, my father would bring home bread stuffed with cheese and sausage from the Second Street Bakery in Jersey City, New Jersey. It was delicious any way we ate it - room temperature, toasted with the cheese oozing out, or with a pasta dinner to "fare la scarpetta" the sauce. 

With that memory in mind, I prepared Emeril Lagasse's recipe for Spicy Italian Sausage and Cheese Bread. While it was tasty, it wasn't exactly right. I'm not sure what was off, but I do know that I need to eat more stuffed bread in New Jersey to help with this very serious research project. 




No comments: