Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pink Himalayan Salt Block: Super Salty



I fell for the hype. I bought a much-discussed-Himalayan-Salt-Block. I found one on sale and purchased the heavy, lovely pink stone. In fact, after heating it on the grill, the colors shifted slightly and it was even lovelier. And it was still just a slab of salt.

After reading this salt block cooking guide from salt experts at The Meadow, we started simply. I placed two fresh mozzarella balls on the chilled salt block. We sliced the mozzarella on the block and then tasted the slices. They were quite salty.

Then my husband grilled calamari and peppers, including a few pieces on the salt block (we purchased a small block that wouldn't hold very much.) Again, the result was very salty. Very, very salty.

I suppose it is quite obvious that the foods cooked or served on a salt block would be very salty. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to store this salt block that needs to be kept cool and dry for best results. It is currently taking up room in our refrigerator. I'm not sure I need any more results, but I hate to throw things out and admit defeat.

Maybe I need a very fancy tool to crush the salt block for, well, salt?


No comments: