Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Friday, December 11, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to my new cooking blog! I will discuss dishes I’ve cooked & eaten, restaurants I’ve tried, cookbooks I’ve read and more. I currently live in Ann Arbor, but I travel to Washington, DC and northern New Jersey often.

As you read my blog, you’ll notice I’m quite biased towards Italian food. I am Italian-American and I spent four years in Florence, Italy. While I was there, I took an amazing cooking class at the famous Trattoria Zibibbo. For over a month, every Saturday we cooked a traditional Tuscan dish in a professional kitchen and then sat down to professionally eat it. It was like an Italian holiday every weekend.

I’ve started doing cooking exchanges with friends with different culinary backgrounds. We’ve taught each other how to cook some Thai, Japanese and Russian dishes so far. What better way to learn something new, get together with friends and share a great meal?
I’m not a professional chef and I like to experiment. I’m volunteering as a writer and taster for a cookbook fundraiser Hepatitis C. For more information, you can read the call for submissions here. The picture of focaccia above is one of the recipes I tested and enjoyed eating. Nothing better than fresh bread on a cold winter night.

Do you have a great recipe or restaurant you think I should try? I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: