Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Monday, January 4, 2010

Pine Street Biscuits

Visiting my in-laws in Portland, Oregon over the holidays, I received a text from my food-savvy father. He was telling us where to eat a biscuit-breakfast in Portland, a city he has never been to, clear across the country from his home. My father knows good food and good food television shows (he saw it featured on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.)

Pine Street Biscuits is a hole-in-the-wall storefront with only a few seats. We got there a little early for lunch and were able to squeeze into a table with an accommodating couple. When we drove by later, the line was literally out of the door.

I had the “Reggie Deluxe” – a biscuit sandwich with fried chicken, egg, bacon, cheese and gravy. My husband had the more traditional biscuits and gravy. Both were perfect. I daintily ate mine with a fork and knife (how could I have picked up that monster?) and enjoyed every bite of each ingredient. Perfectly creamy on the outside, crunchy one level in and then tender chicken in the middle. Wow. With some added hot sauce, it was perfect.

New Jersey, while perhaps not known for biscuits, is the state for a greasy spoon diner. This hip spot that also showcases at the local Farmer’s Market isn’t exactly a greasy spoon, but it is close. We haven’t been able to find the equivalent in Ann Arbor.

Someone prove me wrong? Please? Breakfast comes everyday and I’m hungry.

No comments: