Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Friday, January 15, 2010

France in Atlanta: Maison Robert


The chocolate and pastry shop Maison Robert is a little bit of France right in Atlanta, Georgia.

The chocolate aroma broke through the surprisingly cold, southern air, and warmed us before we started drinking an authentic hot chocolate.

My friend Alethea kindly bought me a mixed box of chocolates. I’m a hoarder, so I’ve been trying to limit myself to one a day. So far, my favorites are the dark chocolate ones with flavors like cognac truffle and mocha truffle.

Katia, working above, joined her parents' business. She is now the fourth generation in the family of pâtissiers-confiseurs. In response to my corn syrup allergy, she carefully marked which chocolates I could eat in the mixed box. I decided the few that had corn syrup in the decorations or the marzipan were reserved for my husband. Otherwise, well, you get the picture.

If you are in the area, I hope you’ll check out this lovely little store. Living far up north, I think I'll be ordering online.



No comments: