Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Monday, June 11, 2012

Cooking for One

Whole wheat pizza-dough bread topped with salt, rosemary and chia seeds

My husband travels for work sometimes and I find myself cooking for one.

When I lived alone, I cooked all the time. I find cooking relaxing (and sometimes productive-seeming procrastination from writing.) Unfortunately, I do tend to cook exactly what I want with less regard for a healthy, balanced meal than when I cook for someone else. I also use substantially more garlic and hot pepper.

As a child, I remember my mother preparing a very garlicy pesto sauce over pasta when my father wasn't home for dinner. My first go-to dinner when I'm alone? A very garlicy olive oil and hot pepper mixture over pasta and sautéed shrimp. (Unless everyone in your home eats it, it isn't a very social dish. And of course you can't leave the house until the next day.)

For lunch, I tend towards salads with mixed vegetables and fresh mozzarella or avocado. And bread, hopefully homemade.

What do you prepare when when you cook for one?

No comments: