Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Vegetarian & Vegan Resources

Contrary to my recent meat-oriented posts, I used to be a vegetarian. In high school and for part of college, I stayed away from meat. In the early 1990’s, there were fewer options for everyday, quick foods like a sandwich, even one I made myself, without the dreaded high fructose corn syrup that I have been allergic to since middle school. And so, I eventually turned back to meat.

Happily, it is much easier now to avoid corn syrup. (In fact, it is even cool.) While I don’t think I’d give up meat forever (after all, I’m on that search for the perfect burger) I would like to eat more vegetarian and vegan dishes as a healthy way to vary my diet and try new dishes.

At the recent Fall for the Book Festival, it was great fun to introduce and listen to vegan cookbook authors, author of Cook Food: A Manualfesto for Easy, Healthy, Local Eating, and Tracye McQuirter, author of By Any Greens Necessary. Their approaches made eating vegan food sound easy and best of all, delicious.

For more information, I recommend reading their websites (linked above) and their books, which you can find in my Amazon store.

During the session, Tracye offered the following organizations as a means to learn more about studies regarding being a healthy vegetarian.

Center for Science in the Public Interest

Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine

Compassion Over Killing


What’s your favorite vegetarian dish?

No comments: