Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Food Writing Find

I was moved while reading the recent New York Times Modern Love article In Bitter Moments, Reaching for the Sweet by Sara Hope Anderson. I think you will be, too.

Candies are offered to the author by would-be-lovers, divorce lawyers, piano teachers and others. Everywhere she turns, in moments of need and need-no-more, there’s candy. With stark prose, she narrates troubled moments in her life by describing the candy that is offered to her in a hand or bowl. The candies’ sweetness doesn’t just punctuate or sweeten a scene, instead they become the narrative thread between the scenes. As a writer, I really enjoyed both the structure and tone.

What food(s) do you find reappearing throughout your life? For me, I find it hard to imagine a celebration or mourning period devoid of pasta, long or short.

If you are interested in writing, I hope you’ll visit my blog on writing from a writing instructor’s perspective.

2 comments:

Margot said...

thanks for calling my attention to that--I probably would have missed it, and it was really beautiful.

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

Thanks for reading, Margot!