Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow Day Treats: Baking Powder Biscuits and Hot Chocolate

Being snowed in yesterday, I decided to try two comfort-food recipes: Baking Powder Biscuits and Hot Chocolate.

The biscuits were a breakfast surprise for my husband. The recipe, from Epicurious, had a few options: crusty, buttermilk, cheese or drop. I chose drop biscuits and I’m pretty sure that I cheated by not kneading them, but they still came out quite well. I simply mixed them in the bowl and then formed balls in my hand before putting them on the greased cookie sheets. I used less sugar and a little more salt than the recipe required.

The hot chocolate, from the wonderful food blog Leite’s Culinaria, reminded me of hot chocolates I would order in Florence, Italy. There was the option for thin or thick hot chocolate and we opted for the thin. I admit that I opted out of the salt addition, but my husband didn’t shy away from it. We also used fat-free milk instead of whole milk since that’s what was in the fridge. With a melted chocolate bar and Kosher marshmallows (they are always corn syrup-free!) whisked into a drink, we had a luxurious afternoon snack by the fire while the snow continued to fall.

With all of this delicious food to give me extra energy, I had a very productive snow day yesterday. I hope you’ll take a moment to scroll through the new tabs at the top of the page.

No comments: