Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Best Brunch in Ann Arbor


My husband and I love going out for brunch on the weekend. While we are often too busy to indulge, we do have two favorite places that are reasonably priced: Afternoon Delight and The Broken Egg.

Afternoon Delight, at 251 East Liberty Street, has a great menu. Pancakes with real maple syrup, homemade muffins and breads, and my very favorite: Potato Pancake Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict. There is a serious lack of potato pancakes in this town, but Afternoon Delight fulfills this northeasterner’s cravings. I’ve eaten here a few times and I’ve never been disappointed. There is often a line when you arrive, but it moves quickly.

This weekend we had eggs at The Broken Egg at 223 N. Main Street. It was noisy, maybe even too noisy for reading the newspaper, but we enjoyed our generous omelets and toast. Mine, with artichokes and spinach, was fluffy and light. My husband’s special hash had a mix of spicy sausages that I’d never seen mixed together under eggs before. I think our side potatoes could have been crispier, but perhaps I should learn to order them extra crispy. There were bowls of eggs with cowboy fixings on the menu that reminded me of some cafes in Santa Fe.

For a fancier brunch, we enjoy CafĂ© Zola. For the opposite, we love the Fleetwood Diner. I still haven’t found the equivalent of a Jersey diner, if anyone has any recommendations.

No comments: