Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Café Bonaparte, Georgetown, D.C.


When my husband and I were dating and he lived near Georgetown University, we would go to Café Bonaparte for brunch. We’d order savory crepes followed by sweet ones. The coffee, cappuccino or café macchiato, was always as good as it would have been if we were eating in Italy or France. With an international crowd, small tables, red wall and aluminum ceiling, we felt like we were in Western Europe.

Visiting D.C. recently, we ate lunch here. I was afraid that it might have changed over the last two years, but it was just as we’d remembered it. This time, I tried the cold calamari salad and ended with a café macchiato. I returned the next day – I couldn’t resist! – and ordered a brie, avocado and sundried tomato sandwich on a baguette. Delicious.

Does life get any better? The service is perfect, the black and white images of Paris on the walls are beautiful to look at, and when I was sitting alone, I enjoyed the scene on Wisconsin Avenue out of the large window.

I’m sure we’ll be returning regularly when we return. They have another site, which we look forward to trying, too.

No comments: