Italian Cooking & Language Blog

Fare La Scarpetta means to wipe your plate clean with a piece of bread.

What else could you ask for?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The All Chocolate Dinner Menu

Yesterday I mentioned that that I recently prepared, with the help of friends, an all-chocolate dinner.




Here is the menu:






Chicken mole with rice & black beans


Cupcakes & Brownies

Ginger hot chocolate

The chocolate martinis were a hit. The recipe called for chocolate nibs, which my friend found at Whole Foods. The deep chocolate flavor from the crème de cacao and the chocolate nibs were nicely offset by the sugar along the rims of the martini glasses.

The nicest compliment I received on the dinner was that it wasn’t too heavy, nor was it overwhelmingly chocolate-y. Cocoa was traditionally used as a spice in savory food. Sugar wasn’t added until the 1600’s. I tried to integrate both uses into the menu.

What is your favorite savory chocolate dish?

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Ooh, ginger hot chocolate - did you use fresh ginger, or powdered? By the way, I've also seen cocoa nibs at the People's Food Co-op (and somewhere else that I'm blanking on - maybe Trader Joe's?).

Tricia said...

p.s. I'm on the MLFB list, that's how I found your blog :^)

Chloe Yelena Miller said...

Thanks for reading the blog, Tricia. I did use powdered ginger.

I'm loving the MLFB list!